Student Visa for International Students in Spain

Do you require a visa? Are you are eligible to study in Spain, with or without a visa? The answers to these questions are in this post. Read further and know about the Student Visa in Spain-

Visa Conditions in Spain

If you’re a non-EU citizen and your time of study in Spain is more than 90 days, in that case, you will need a student visa. If your period of study is less than 90 days, then there is no need to get a visa. 

Nationals of the following countries do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days:

(a) EU countries, Australia, Canada, Japan and US

(b) Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Korea (Rep. Of), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Switzerland, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.

Nationals of countries not appearing above need a visa to enter Spain.

If your studies last for over 6 months, you’ll require a student residence permit. The residence permit must be obtained within 30 days from your entry into Spain and this can be done through the foreign national office of the National Police. 

Applying Ways and Means

To get the student visa, contact the Spanish embassy/consulate in your country of residence. However, you are required to pre-enroll at an officially recognised public or private educational institution in Spain beforehand. Once you are accepted by the institution and receive the acceptance letter, you can apply for visa to the Spanish Embassy/Consulate in your country.

Visa Fees

The visa fees vary and is payable to consulate of Spain.


Following documents are required-

Visa Application form- Completed and Signed and Fees

A valid passport and photos

Information about your Course/Program or Study Program Content list:  A list of the contents of the course/program that you’ll take up in Spain

Photo ID proof- Driver’s license or any other official photo ID

Copy of a Birth Certificate

Medical insurance: Medical insurance details for the entire period of your stay in Spain.  Proof of health insurance coverage.

Medical Certificate: A medical certificate declaring that you do not suffer from any diseases prone to quarantine, as stated in the international health rules

Proof of Financial Resources: Proof that you possess sufficient funds for subsistence and for your return to your country. It can be in the form of bank statements, notarized letter from parents taking on full financial responsibility for the student during his/her entire stay in Spain along with a copy of parent’s ID and bank statements.

Criminal record certificate: This certificate must be issued by the official authority in your country of origin or your place of residence in the last five years

Proof of accommodation: It should be in the form of a notarized invitation issued in Spain from a Spanish national or a Spanish legal permanent resident in Spain, or from institution specifying about your accommodation.

If the duration of the stay in Spain is longer than six months, also submit the following:
Local Health Certificate with letterhead, stamp, and signature of the Doctor. It should be translated into Spanish.

Original certificate of good conduct, i.e. police clearance: If the candidate has spent six month or more during the last five years in another country, he/she must submit the police record from that country, legalized with the Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate of that country. The certificate must not be older than 3 months from the application date. Or you can even submit the FBI Background Check.

Things to Remember

  • If your study duration is less than 6 months, the Spanish Embassy/Consulate shall issue you a student visa stating “STUDENT, TOTAL 180 DAYS”. 
  • A stay in Spain for the study purpose allows you to work up to 20 hours a week (part-time), provided that your employment schedule is compatible with your study timetable. The company that employs you must apply for a work permit to the foreign national office (Oficina de Extranjeros). 
  • Your family members can visit and stay with you legally in Spain while you’re studying here provided you apply for the corresponding visas.
  • Check with the Spanish consulate or embassy in your country to ascertain the conditions for processing a visa, as it varies.

Processing Time

From the date the application is put forward it takes at least 15 days for visa application process, however, the processing period can extend to 30 days for specific cases. 

With this information, you can ascertain that you have properly fulfilled all of the Visa and entry requisites in Spain and will be able to freely go into the country to obtain your education.

Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Spain Select a Country

Our Network :